Now and Then
My sister recently wrote a blog post with the title “25 Random Things About Me.” It began:
A friend recently sent me a “Memory” of hers that popped up on Facebook. It was something I’d tagged her with ten years ago. What’s still the same? she asked me. What has changed? Here’s my answer.
In one of her answers, Kathy mentioned that her original Facebook post was in response to one of mine. I thought it would be fun to write a Now and Then blog post like hers, but first I had to find my Facebook post from 2009. It took a while, but I found it! (She knew I would.)
So, without further ado, here are the 25 facts I shared 10 years ago, along with what has changed and what’s the same.
- I am a qualified Myers Briggs Type Indicator professional. In theory, I’m still qualified, because I completed the Qualifying Program, but I don’t use it professionally anymore, so my knowledge is a little rusty.
- My personality type is ISTJ. This will likely never change.
- I have a brown tabby cat named Tasha. Still do. Isn’t she pretty?
- I have had four cats in my life. Still true.
- I never had a cat until 1995. Still true, obviously, since I can’t go back in time and change things.
- Before that I had dogs (four of them, actually). Once a dog person, always a dog person. I got my fifth dog in 2011.
- I can see 17 cats from where I am sitting, none of them real. I can see 6 cats from where I’m sitting, none real, and one real live dog.
- My husband and I have worked together at 3 places, including our current business. Still true.
- My mother passed away in 1996. My father passed away in 2018.
- The first movie I saw in the theatre was The Gnomemobile. See comment on #5.
- I have one brother and one sister. Still true.
- My favourite colour is blue. Still true.
- I like to listen to the blues. Still true, although I don’t listen to the blues as much as I did 10 years ago.
- I drive a PT Cruiser. It’s blue. I drive a blue Hyundai Elantra.
- I have seen Blue Rodeo in concert four times. I may have seen them once more since then, but I don’t think so.
- I used to be considered bilingual but now I’m not so sure. Pretty sure I’m not bilingual, but I can still carry on a conversation in French when the opportunity presents itself.
- I need a haircut. My hair is looking pretty good these days.
- I just discovered how to add photos to Notes. I was under the impression this Facebook feature had been discontinued, but I just learned how to access it by reading How to Use Facebook Notes, pubished on Lifewire in October 2018. I’d have found my original post much more quickly if I’d read this first!
- I haven’t flown since 1991 when I went to Lake of the Woods. I flew to Arizona in 2014 to speak about blogging at the NAPO Conference and to enjoy some sightseeing.
- I’m looking forward to meeting lots of VAs at FoVA this June. I’m looking forward to attending WordCamp Hamilton this June.
- I like to make my own greeting cards. I still do, but these days I’m more likely to do it by uploading my photos to a website and having them printed.
- I love to sing. I still do.
- I used to be a Big Sister. My former Little Sister is now the mother of three little boys!
- I have lived in my current home for 5 years. I’ve now been here 15 years, the longest I’ve ever lived in one place.
- I can see four calendars from where I’m sitting, and I only use two of them. Some people would call that clutter. Just a wall calendar now.
My sister closed her post with this question:
What’s the biggest thing that has changed for you in the past ten years, and what has stayed the same?
You’re more than welcome to share your answer here in the comments, but if you get to it soon enough (as in this afternoon), you should comment on Kathy’s post too for a chance to win one of her books!