Doing something you’re good at and enjoy doing is an great starting point for a business. Unfortunately, it’s not enough. Many people barely get their business off the ground because they don’t have the confidence to market it successfully.'A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage.' ~ Sydney SmithClick To Tweet
Self-promotion is especially challenging for introverts. The thought of talking about ourselves, especially to total strangers, is enough to send some of us running for cover.
Many people I meet in business circles are surprised to learn that I’m an introvert. It’s not that I force myself to act like an extravert; instead, I’ve learned to recognize and make the most of my strengths.
I recently had the opportunity to share my experience on Erin Summ’s weekly interview series, The Successful Introvert: How to Confidently Grow Your Business and Your Bank Account.
Here are a few highlights:
- Choose small, structured networking events rather than large after-business cocktail party-type mixers.
- Plan in advance what you want to say, especially if you have to stand up and introduce yourself. You’ll feel more at ease, and you’ll be more interesting too.
- Take advantage of social media to stay in touch with people you meet, and connect with others, while remaining in your comfort zone.
- Seek out one-on-one opportunities. Make a point of scheduling a lunch or coffee meeting with some of the people you meet, so you can get to know each other and explore how you can help one another’s businesses.
- Since you’d probably rather read and write than talk, write articles and blog posts to establish your credibility and demonstrate your knowledge.
You’ll have to watch the video for the rest of my ideas – including one that may surprise you – so if you don’t have time right now, be sure to bookmark it for later!
How do you market your business with confidence?
Please share in the comments!
Latest posts by Janet (see all)
- 5 ways to brainstorm blogging ideas that will wow your readers - November 30, 2017
- Can an appointment scheduler make you a better service provider? - November 9, 2017
- A more engaging vacation property rental website - October 26, 2017